Johannesburg, 11 October 2017
JCDecaux sub-Saharan Africa collaborates with Cars.co.za to use Out-of-Home to grow e-Commerce in South Africa
JCDecaux, the number one outdoor advertising company worldwide, together with Cars.co.za, a leading online automotive retail portal, have joined forces to offer South African vehicle buyers the most comprehensive resource available, to enable them to make the most informed decisions.
With a strong presence on multiple digital platforms and ranked in the top five branded South African YouTube channels (source: Socialbakers.com), Cars.co.za embarked on a month-long campaign, identifying JCDecaux as an Out-of-Home Advertising Solutions partner to offer a diverse and rich medium that would allow for a unique spectrum of creativity.
As consumers are spending more time outside the home, Out-of-Home advertising has become the medium that effectively reaches people in the Active Space. Considered timing and placement of brand messaging allows Out-of-Home to direct audiences to online and mobile communication platforms.
Cars.co.za identified that audiences are constantly connected through their smartphones and tablets and while mobile offers an opportunity for brands to communicate directly with consumers, competition for their attention is high in the increasingly fragmented media environment.
Out-of-Home is uniquely placed to drive traffic at a chosen point in the consumers’ journey and is the key media that can offer content to an audience that is on-the-go. Cars.co.za recognized this as an opportunity to offer relevant messaging through a ‘call to action’ at a time where the audience is most receptive to it.
The month-long campaign was focused on the Gauteng and Cape Town regions, with simple and clean creative on the JCDecaux network of Citilites and Supersigns. The networks offer a flexible, off-the-shelf solution to various strategies, offering high levels of reach and frequency whilst targeting selected audiences and lifestyles.
Mark Cooper, CEO of JCDecaux sub-Saharan Africa said, “as the leaders and driving force in the advancement and growth of Out-of-Home in Africa, JCDecaux is well-positioned to provide simple, impactful and effective advertising in unique environments. It is our priority to offer brands using traditional media an opportunity to gain incremental reach and increased recallability.”
“The collaboration between JCDecaux and Cars.co.za is a great example of how classic billboards, which are incredibly dominant, and strategically placed, are a powerful tool to communicate a brand’s message.”
Mark Geldart, Marketer at Cars.co.za said: “although our brand operates primarily in the digital space, there are significant strategic advantages to communicating our messages via certain traditional media. Through a well-devised strategy created and executed in conjunction with JCDecaux, we have achieved great reach in specified areas, which generated notable brand awareness in support of our digital endeavours.”
About JCDecaux in sub-Saharan Africa
JCDecaux in sub-Saharan Africa, formerly Continental Outdoor Media until the acquisition by JCDecaux SA (Euronext Paris: DEC) in partnership with Royal Bafokeng Holdings in June 2015, is Africa's leading traditional and digital outdoor advertising company and operates in 16 countries in Africa. The company offers more than 37,000 advertising opportunities within the African continent.
JCDecaux is the number one Outdoor Advertising company worldwide and the market leader in Europe, Asia-Pacific, Latin America, Africa and the Middle-East. JCDecaux is listed on Euronext Paris and is part of the Euronext 100 and FTSE4Good indexes. Employing 12,850 people, the Group has operations in more than 75 countries around the world, and has a presence in 4,435 cities with more than 10,000 inhabitants. The Group generated total revenues of €3,208 million in 2015.
Key figures for JCDecaux
- 2016 revenue: €3,393m; H1 2017 revenue: €1,641m
- JCDecaux is listed on the Eurolist of Euronext Paris and is part of the Euronext 100 and Euronext Family Business indexes
- JCDecaux is part of the FTSE4Good and Dow Jones Sustainability Europe indexes
- No.1 worldwide in street furniture (559,070 advertising panels)
- No. 1 worldwide in transport advertising with more than 220 airports and 260 contracts in metros, buses, trains and tramways (354,680 advertising panels)
- No. 1 in Europe for billboards (169,860 advertising panels)
- No. 1 in outdoor advertising in Europe (721,130 advertising panels)
- No. 1 in outdoor advertising in Asia-Pacific (219,310 advertising panels)
- No. 1 in outdoor advertising in Latin America (70,680 advertising panels)
- No. 1 in outdoor advertising in Africa (29,820 advertising panels)
- No. 1 in outdoor advertising in the Middle-East (16,230 advertising panels)
- Leader in self-service bicycles and a pioneer in soft mobility
- 1,117,890 advertising panels in more than 75 countries
- Present in 4,280 cities with more than 10,000 inhabitants
- Daily audience: more than 410 million people
- 13,030 employees