Johannesburg, 27 May 2016
JCDecaux South Africa are one of the key underwriters of the ground-breaking Out of Home currency, ROAD (Roadside Outdoor Audience Data) produced under the OMC JIC umbrella. The ROAD currency, to deliver media metrics such as reach, frequency, GRP’s and CPM, will now position the South African Out of Home industry alongside that of the many other countries that have already developed currency frameworks like ROUTE in the UK, and Move in Australia.
The OMC (Out of Home Measurement Council) was registered as a non-profit Joint Industry Committee (JIC) on 23 March 2015, with launch members JCDecaux (formerly Continental Outdoor Media in Africa), Primedia Outdoor, Outdoor Network and AdOutpost. The JIC is encouraging and engaging with other Roadside Media Owners to participate in the ROAD survey so that the research presented to marketers and agencies is transparent, representative and inclusive.
The currency data, to deliver the same metrics and TV, Radio and Print, will be available to buyers and media owners from July 2016, allowing for empirical planning of Roadside Outdoor formats and reliable comparison against other media, hitherto not possible. Marketers and buyers of Outdoor Advertising have lauded the OMC’s drive and investment to justify their OOH media choices and align their ROI measurements against other media.
Neil Eddleston, Managing Director, JCDecaux OneWorld – Marketing, and Chairman of the technical committee of the Esomar global guidelines for outdoor measurement, GGOODAM comments, “It is important for our agency and advertiser clients to have access to consistent and reliable OOH measurement across the multiplicity of markets around the world. We are delighted that customers in the South African market now have access to the globally recognised accountability increasingly commonplace in other OOH markets and directly comparable with other major advertising media platforms. ROAD is an innovative application of this accountability and is a significant leap forward for OOH in the market, permitting customers to recognise the true potential and value of the OOH medium in South Africa.”
Bazil Lauryssen, CEO of JCDecaux sub-Saharan Africa, says: “We have always seen the merit in the significant investment we have made so far with our other founder OMC members, and are confident that this innovative approach will satisfy all our stakeholders and assist in growing the OOH industry in South Africa. The integration of travel patterns, demographic and other supporting data from the comprehensive travel survey with Cuende’s satellite imagery and sophisticated modelling techniques, will deliver a currency that is highly innovative and a first in the world”.
About JCDecaux in sub-Saharan Africa
JCDecaux in sub-Saharan Africa, formerly Continental Outdoor Media until the acquisition by JCDecaux SA (Euronext Paris: DEC) in partnership with Royal Bafokeng Holdings in June 2015, is Africa's leading traditional and digital outdoor advertising company and operates in 16 countries in Africa. The company offers in excess of 37, 000 advertising opportunities within the African continent.
JCDecaux is the number one Outdoor Advertising company worldwide and the market leader in Europe, Asia-Pacific, Latin America, Africa and the Middle-East. JCDecaux is listed on Euronext Paris and is part of the Euronext 100 and FTSE4Good indexes. Employing 12,850 people, the Group has operations in more than 75 countries around the world, and has a presence in 4,435 cities with more than 10,000 inhabitants. The Group generated total revenues of €3,208 million in 2015.
Key Figures for JCDecaux
- 2015 revenue: €3,208m
- JCDecaux is listed on the Eurolist of Euronext Paris and is part of the Euronext 100 index
- JCDecaux is part of the FTSE4Good index
- N°1 worldwide in street furniture (524,580 advertising panels)
- N°1 worldwide in transport advertising with more than 230 airports and 280 contracts in metros, buses, trains and tramways (395,770 advertising panels)
- N°1 in Europe for billboards (177,760 advertising panels)
- N°1 in outdoor advertising in Europe (731,390 advertising panels)
- N°1 in outdoor advertising in the Asia-Pacific region (236,760 advertising panels)
- N°1 in outdoor advertising in Latin America (62,860 advertising panels)
- N°1 in outdoor advertising in Africa (32,840 advertising panels)
- N°1 in outdoor advertising in the Middle-East (16,280 advertising panels)
- N°1 worldwide for self-service bicycle hire: pioneer in eco-friendly mobility
- 1,129,410 advertising panels in more than 75 countries
- Present in 4,435 cities with more than 10,000 inhabitants
- Daily audience: more than 390 million people
- 12,850 employees
For more information contact: