Johannesburg, 15 April 2016
Continental Outdoor Media, founded more than 50 years ago and a pioneer in Outdoor Advertising in Africa, was acquired on 18 June 2015 by JCDecaux SA (Euronext Paris: DEC) in partnership with empowerment partner and long-term investor Royal Bafokeng Holdings (RBH) with a shareholding split of 70/30. The company has now completed its integration process, and having finalised all statutory requirements, will officially be known as JCDecaux in each of the countries it operates within.
The new platform in sub-Saharan Africa, with more than 37 000 advertising panels and a presence in 14 countries (Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, and Zimbabwe), on top of JCDecaux’s existing footprint in Cameroon and Algeria, is the number one outdoor advertising company in Africa. It operates a wide range of analogue and digital advertising displays on highways and road arterials in metropolitan and rural areas, as well as in airports, shopping malls, the Gautrain Stations, taxi ranks and railway stations across sub-Saharan Africa, ensuring optimal visibility for advertisers and their brands.
Jean-Sébastien Decaux, CEO Southern Europe, Belgium and Luxembourg, Africa and Israel of JCDecaux, said: “Since the acquisition of Continental Outdoor in June 2015 we have made significant strides in integrating the JCDecaux culture, values and know-how. We will accelerate the growth and build on the solid foundations that Continental Outdoor Media created in Africa and look forward to an exciting period as we grow our business with our new colleagues.
We are therefore very pleased and humbled to bring new expertise and innovation to service public authorities and African citizens as well as offer African and international advertisers and their brands exceptional opportunities on this continent with unequalled growth potential. Indeed, Africa’s population is expected to double in the next 30 years, fuelling the high urbanisation growth rate and consistent growth of the middle class. We’re looking forward to tackling this change of paradigm in Africa in the long term”.
Bazil Lauryssen, CEO sub-Saharan Africa of JCDecaux, said: “Africa has taken its place within the world as a driver of innovation and will leap-frog many other emerging markets with Digital and Dynamic Out of Home displays providing state of the art media opportunities for our clients. The global support and sharing of ideas and strategies from the JCDecaux business around the world will benefit our growth and assist us to transform the outdoor advertising landscape within Africa and take it forward.
The re-branding of all statutory documentation, products and other signage has commenced across the continent and we anticipate that by the end of 2016 the JCDecaux brand will be highly prominent across the African land and city-scape”.
About JCDecaux in sub-Saharan Africa
JCDecaux in sub-Saharan Africa, formerly Continental Outdoor Media until the acquisition by JCDecaux SA (Euronext Paris: DEC) in partnership with Royal Bafokeng Holdings in June 2015, is Africa's leading traditional and digital outdoor advertising company and operates in 16 countries in Africa. The company offers in excess of 37, 000 advertising opportunities within the African continent.
JCDecaux is the number one Outdoor Advertising company worldwide and the market leader in Europe, Asia-Pacific, Latin America, Africa and the Middle-East. JCDecaux is listed on Euronext Paris and is part of the Euronext 100 and FTSE4Good indexes. Employing 12,850 people, the Group has operations in more than 75 countries around the world, and has a presence in 4,435 cities with more than 10,000 inhabitants. The Group generated total revenues of €3,208 million in 2015.
Key Figures for JCDecaux
- 2015 revenue: €3,208m
- JCDecaux is listed on the Eurolist of Euronext Paris and is part of the Euronext 100 index
- JCDecaux is part of the FTSE4Good index
- N°1 worldwide in street furniture (524,580 advertising panels)
- N°1 worldwide in transport advertising with more than 230 airports and 280 contracts in metros, buses, trains and tramways (395,770 advertising panels)
- N°1 in Europe for billboards (177,760 advertising panels)
- N°1 in outdoor advertising in Europe (731,390 advertising panels)
- N°1 in outdoor advertising in the Asia-Pacific region (236,760 advertising panels)
- N°1 in outdoor advertising in Latin America (62,860 advertising panels)
- N°1 in outdoor advertising in Africa (32,840 advertising panels)
- N°1 in outdoor advertising in the Middle-East (16,280 advertising panels)
- N°1 worldwide for self-service bicycle hire: pioneer in eco-friendly mobility
- 1,129,410 advertising panels in more than 75 countries
- Present in 4,435 cities with more than 10,000 inhabitants
- Daily audience: more than 390 million people
- 12,850 employees
For more information contact: